Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Dynaco--Dynamo!

I've used Dynaco gear every since my college days when I assembled PAS-3 preamp and Stereo 70 amp kits.   I added an AR turntable (eventually with a Shure M91E cartridge) and finally, when I had a little dough, AR-3 speakers.  This was a classic combo, putting me ahead of the audiophile world, at least in the 1960's!  What great music we listened to through this system...  blues, avant garde jazz, psychedelic rock... and so much more...

I used this system for many years, but as the decades passed, these guys wandered a bit (long story).  Then, just before the turn of the century, the PAS-3 and Stereo 70 returned, and I found new circuit cards from Van Alstine which I assembled and inserted into these components.  I still have this system and use it in my workroom.  Glorious tubes!



Somewhere in the 70's, I obtained a Dynaco PAT-5 solid state preamp kit (as well as an FM-5 tuner), and found a used (and very cheap) ST-120 power amp.  Then, recuperating from surgery around 2015, I found a site, Update My Dynaco, that offered new, audiophile grade, circuits for the PAT-5 and ST-120 for self assembly.  This project helped me recover, and now I had yet another world class system.  And these circuit cards were quite reasonable, perhaps $500 total.  The Cheapskate strikes again!




Here's the system I setup along with my BK MOSFET project, my OPPO player, Wharfdale 225s, and the woofers of AR-3As as subs.


A great system, great sound and amazingly inexpensive.  But of course I would go on from there...  stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment